Staying true to a keto diet requires willpower the size of Australia. The high fat intake during a keto diet will keep you feeling full for a long time. Still, having very little to no carbs can cause intense cravings. A moment of weakness can derail your body from ketosis.
Some people think of diet as a form of torture and believes that snacks have no place in them. Instead, a diet helps you to understand what your body needs and how best to fulfill it. It is very difficult to rely solely on your willpower to stick to the keto diet. Keto snacks are a great way of indulging without throwing away weeks of hard work and sacrifice.
Having healthy, keto-friendly snacks is very important while traveling so that you can avoid the temptation to eat something that will hurt your ketone levels.
When the cravings hit hard, here are a few keto snacks you can munch on
- Avocados – They are high in fiber and contains potassium. Avocadoes are also believed to improve heart health.
- Kale Chips – Crispy food lovers on Keto diet would absolutely love kale chips. They are light as air. But the green flavor might take a little getting used to.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Half-cup of cherry tomatoes contain only 2 grams of net carbs which makes it a great addition to Keto diet.
- Olives – Eighty percent of olives’ total calories come from fat making it an ideal choice in Keto diet. The fact that it requires no preparation makes it a very popular choice.
- Dark Chocolate – Those who love chocolate too much for their own good can have dark chocolates that contain a minimum of 70% cocoa solids. 28 grams of unsweetened chocolate (100% cocoa) has 3 grams of net carbs.
- Pork Rinds – are crunchy and salty making it one of the best keto snacks.
- Nuts and Nut butter – While choosing nut butter, go for higher fats choices, such as almonds or macadamia nuts, and seeds like chia, flaxseed, or pumpkin which are high in omega 3.
- Keto Smoothies – Avoid fruits with high fructose content and inflammatory diary while preparing your keto smoothies. Instead, heap your smoothie with healthy fat and fiber.
- Veggie Sticks – Very easy to prepare. Chop them ahead and keep it in the fridge. Grab them whenever you feel like snacking.
- Hard-boiled Eggs – A large egg contains less than 1 gram of carbs.
- Bulletproof or Butter Coffee – This amazing concoction can energize you and stimulate your metabolism.
- Frozen Berries – In a Keto diet you are allowed to have fruits like Blackberries (net carbs – 6g/cup), Raspberries (net carbs – 7g/cup), Strawberries (net carbs – 8g/cup), and Blueberries (net carbs – 17g/cup).
Here are a few things to keep in mind about keto snacking
- It’s important to have a bunch of go-to snacks when you are on Keto to avoid binge eating.
- Just because these snacks are keto-friendly, don’t assume that you can have these as much as you want. If you overeat, you would still gain weight.
- Choose foods that have fewer than five ingredients.
- Take the time to prep high-quality snacks for yourself.
- Rely on whole foods and healthy ingredients instead of processed “low carb” products.
- Pick your keto snacks based on how much protein and fat you need to meet your goals.